This one should technically be called “Grandma’s Recipe Made Healthy” because this was passed down from Grandma to my mom and now to me! My Grandma passed away and I have a really bad memory, so I get upset when memories of loved ones fade away.
But I have distinct memories of Grandma making us her favorite banana bread, baked beans (in a special baked bean pot), and this random concoction of tomato soup and…. peanut butter? Okay, that was just one time but that was a weird one.
But this recipe of hers…. FABULOUS!
I just hope my healthy modifications live up to Grandma’s standards 🙂
It certainly looks different than Grandma’s…
Here are the changes I am making to the original recipe:
- Replace sugar with Truvia Baking Blend. This fits my diet, but use whatever sweetener works for you!!
- Replace flour with flax seed meal. While both flour and flax seed have their pros and cons (flour is higher in vitamins and minerals), flax seed has more omega 3 fatty acids, fiber and protein, which are great! Warning: using this WILL make your banana bread look more like dark, fudgey brownies– which isn’t so much of a bad thing, just different!
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup Truvia Baking Blend
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream oil, truvia, and egg together
- Add dry ingredients
- Stir in banana, lemon juice, and nuts
- Fill loaf pan or muffin tins half full
- Bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes
Enjoy! The result tastes pretty much the same as your typical banana bread, but with a slight “nutty” taste that you get from flax seed meal 🙂 My family and I really enjoyed it!
Hope you have a great Monday! I want to hear from you: what recipes did your family pass on to you??