I was recently sent this fun little bag of Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest. At first I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. Is it like oatmeal? Is it a snack?
After a bit of research on how some other bloggers prefer to eat them I found that, while some people snack on them, most people find them too dry to eat that way. I decided to add them to soup.
As I showed you all on the blog, I made some of my FAVORITE Kale Kielbasa Soup recently, so for lunch I heated up some leftover soup and sprinkled in some of these babies.
You can get a bit more “fancy” with your soup recipes and actually blend the Hemp Hearts in (they have really cool recipe ideas on their website), but I went for simple and easy. It added a bit of crunch (which I love in my soup) and has a pleasant, nutty flavor.
I have also tried these on top of salads and in my smoothies! So far, I have enjoyed them most in my soups, but that might be related to my obsession with cozy, warm soups this time of year 🙂
Basically, anywhere I would typically use chia seeds, I would recommend trying these instead! They add some great nutrition just like chia seeds, but to me they add more to the food with their nutty flavor and texture than chia seeds do (which I hardly notice in my food) and I like that!
Okay, Sarah, but why are you even eating these things? Hemp hearts, or hemp seeds, are packed with so much great nutrition it’s one of the easiest things you can do to make your meals more nutrient dense, and as a mom I immediately think “oh, I could definitely sneak this into Davy’s food!”
Hemp hearts are PACKED with protein (vegetarian protein, might I add), omegas, magnesium (something hardly anyone gets enough of!), and, last but not least, it is a raw, whole-food…Something we should all try to eat more of!
You can buy Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest BUT I am also giving one package of Hemp Hearts away to one of you!
Here is what you have to do:
- Click right here to go to my Facebook page (I just created this page- YAY!, follow me there for more updates!). It should direct you to the Giveaway tab. If not, click on the tab titled “Giveaway”
- Follow a few easy steps to enter!
- The giveaway is open until Midnight EST November 19th, 2015 and a winner will be notified by November 20th.
- Winner will be notified via email and will have 24 hours to claim prize. If original winner does not claim prize within 24 hours, an alternate winner(s) will be selected.
- Open to US and Canada residents.
- One prize per person. If you win this giveaway, and have already won another prize from Manitoba Harvest through another blog, please disclose that you have already won so we can choose another winner.
- Contestants must enter on the rafflecopter widget in order to win.
Winner will be provided the prize directly from Manitoba Harvest and A Modern Shore Life is not responsible for failure of sponsor to deliver product.
Oh, and if you do win, tag me on Instagram @amodernshorelife of how you used your Hemp Hearts!
Disclaimer: I was sent Hemp Hearts for review & giveaway purposes as part of my ambassadorship with #sweatpink. All opinions are my own, of course!