Now that we have made it halfway (if you’re new here, my husband went to Fort Leonard Wood for engineering school for the Army) and I have managed to be more absent from my blog than ever before since its invention despite my intention to be more devout than ever (apparently, acting as a single mom, is tough 😉 )…… I figured a few updates were due.
11 of them, in fact.
- First, let’s cover the travel. I went to Missouri. Never been to Missouri before. DEFINITELY never drove to Missouri before. Yes, yes, I saw my husband and it was fun. We bowled. But the bulk of the trip was driving. A drive I will NEVER do again. Are any of you from the East Coast? Or Mid-Atlantic area? Familiar with I-70? Just take it west, forever. You’ll eventually hit Missouri. I swear to God, you won’t get lost. Yes, you go through Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri, but the worst part of the drive? Maryland. And I was born and RAISED in Maryland. Western Maryland to be exact. I hit Cumberland just after dark and before I knew it I was barreling down mountain roads in the snow with the only vehicle around me being a tractor trailer truck that I could see was gaining on me. I had never been so scared.
- Then I went to San Antonio for work. It was busy and hectic, but fun! That is my new favorite city 🙂 I am in love with it.
- Next came a mini-vacation to the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay with my parents and Little Davy. The hotel had invited me (I do some work with them) and my parents happened to be in the area. It was a nice little getaway, but after traveling so much I was ready to finally head how. But I was only home for a short time because…
- FINALLY, one last quick trip to Nags Head, North Carolina for a friend-cation. One friend from Maryland, one from North Carolina, and one from New York. We never get together, especially not all four of us at the same time! It was so nice.
- Due to all of the travel, I also had a lot of make-shift or lack-luster gyms to make the best of. Needless to say, powerlifting was kind of put on the back burner. Despite that, I still somehow managed to get past a MAJOR (mental) road block and deadlifted 225 for the second time. Yes, it was my second time… but I hadn’t hit it since the beginning of February. Trust that I TRIED (and failed) every single time I deadlifted. I knew that I could physically do it and was 100% aware that it was all mental. Not only did I pull 225 last week, but the this week 225 went up easy and I was able to get 235!! It wasn’t pretty, but it counts.
- There have also been plenty of other struggles – outside the gym. Not only is it hard acting like a “single” mom during this separation, but married life isn’t always easy being apart either. I miss having my partner, but I have a feeling the next two months will fly by!
- On the kid front, we just got the news that Little David might have to get his tonsils out. Handling this on my own is going to be tough. First up? A sleep study to see if he has sleep apnea (because of his tonsils, he snores like crazy). Followed by a hearing test to check out how his ears are healing from the tubes that came/are coming out. Those results will determine if he has to get his tonsils out. Apparently on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the biggest) his tonsils are a 4 PLUS, but they want to be sure before taking them out because he’s a bit young to get it done. AHHHH, stress. All I keep hearing in my head is my dad who only once said (but it stuck with me), “your mom would rather take all of your pain and sickness upon herself rather than have you sick or hurt.” This couldn’t be more true. I know that tonsils sound routine to an outsider and it could be a lot worse, but that doesn’t help me not be worried!
- As for the future?? This weekend I’m headed to St Louis! David is going to meet me there and we are going to stay in a hotel and explore the city… have a “date weekend”. Little David is staying home (as much as I know he wants his Daddy, we very much need some time alone!). Cannot wait to just have some worry-free fun with my husband, even if it is just for two short days.
- On a totally insignificant note, but still very exciting for me, I got new gym shoes! At a hotel event in San Antonio, we all got a chance to create custom Nikes…. yes, yes, it’s one of the perks of being a third party meeting planner 😉 Everyone else was hummm-ing and haaa-ing over what to do how to work the website. Me? I’ve had practice creating my perfect shoe. Click, click, click. Done! Clearly, I’ve window-shopped my dream custom nikes before…. I know y’all can relate!
- On the food front, I have been putting together a little care package for my husband. A few things I knew he could use in his room… a couple drawings from Little Davy…. and some protein cookies, of course. I made A Sweet Pea Chef’s Peanut Butter Protein Cookie recipe, except I used My Protein’s Chocolate Nut protein and added chocolate chips. I TOTALLY recommend this recipe. I think the key is the coconut sugar, which I have never used before. I think I will stick to this recipe in the future, just add in some different flavor combinations 🙂 I can honestly say I have NEVER stuck to one protein cookie recipe until now, so that’s saying something.
- And finally, one more food thing. I’ve been really trying to subscribe to Michael Pollan’s ideology when it comes to food. Because who can argue with “Eat Food (real food), Not Too Much, Mostly Plants”. I 100% agree with Michael Pollan and cannot get enough of his documentaries (who has seen Cooked, yet? I am dying to). I recently bought In Defense of Food and Food Rules. I have only read a bit of Food Rules so far. I’ll let you all know what I think! I have a feeling my review will be a positive one.
I have a few more posts in the works, but wanted to get this up first, so hopefully it won’t be another three months until I post again! Ugh! I am the worst blogger! 🙂