I feel like taking this opportunity to do a brief life update, just because.
So whats been going on…. where do I begin. Kids, of course.
The kids! Hunter, my one and a half year old, is growing up rapidly every day. He’s definitely a wild child. This summer he got a fracture in his leg while him and his brother were jumping around the house like crazies, so he had the most adorable, sad little cast on his baby leg for a while there. He also started at our preschool this fall since they added a two year old class after being home with me for his entire life thus far. It has been hard being away from him and quite an adjustment for him, but his social skills have improved greatly, his attachment to mom and dad is nearly gone, and he’s talking more. They also got rid of the bottle completely in like a week- something I struggled to get rid of with him.
David….. my sweet six year old. Started first grade after spending the summer home with me and his little brother. I was so happy to be able to have the summer with them. He’s doing great in school. Reading is his best subject. Proud momma here, can you tell? 🙂 He started Boy Scouts this year. My husband was an Eagle Scout and they seem to love doing this together. He did fall ball for baseball and is starting wrestling again this year, so he’s keeping me busy for sure.
They’re both starting to get SICK again. I absolutely love fall when it comes around then I remember why I hate it…. sickness. Just praying we can get through this winter with relatively non-serious illnesses.
Oh wow, I rambled on about my kids for long enough. I’ll spare you any more life updates for today 🙂 Maybe some updates on my career and fitness journey next time? Yeah, that sounds good…
What about the recipe though, Sarah?
It’s another good one! Pumpkin Sauce, reminiscent of Alfredo Sauce, over Fettucine with Chicken Apple Sausage.
I took a basic Alfredo Sauce, lightened it up and added canned pumpkin. The result? Well, an Alfredo-like sauce that is creamy and parmesan-y (I’m good at descriptions) with a little earthy-squash flavor added to it that makes it mmmm so so good! The pumpkin really does add something unique to the flavor, it’s not just to buy into the hype of the fall pumpkin epidemic.
I decided to add my favorite sausage to the pasta because, hey, why not make this fall recipe even more fall with chicken apple sausage. This recipe would be great meatless though. I was planning on keeping it vegetarian until I stumbled upon my favorite sausage in the grocery store and a light bulb went on. Or, if you aren’t feeding mushroom haters like me, some sauteed mushrooms would be a great addition too!
- 16 ounces fettuccine
- 4 chicken apple sausages, sliced
- 2 tbs butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs flour
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1.5 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie)
- 1.5 cups parmesan cheese (+ some for garnish)
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp of olive oil in pan. When hot, add sliced sausage to pan and cook until browned.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter then add garlic until fragrant and lightly browning.
- Sprinkle flour into pan. Stir to combine and cook for one minute.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth and skim milk, whisking the entire time.
- Stir in the canned pumpkin and parmesan cheese until all is well combined and the cheese melts.
- Add sausage back into sauce and make sure they are warm.
- Combine the fettucine and sauce until the pasta is well coated.
- Plate and garnish with more parmesan cheese!
What do you think, is pumpkin pasta taking it too far?
Leave your favorite pumpkin recipes or fall pasta recipes in a comment down below!